Sunday, January 2, 2011

Suitcase half-empty Kind of Gal

Actually, my suitcase is entirely empty, and that's a good thing! Last night, my family returned from a wonderful Christmas vacation in Virginia, and past experiences have taught me that, if I do not empty all the suitcases, coolers, toys, dirty laundry, toiletries, and the alleged kitchen sink immediately; I am stuck trying to resolve a mountain of mess for the next week. Before I went to bed last night, everything but the children's clean clothes were entirely put away. Now there's one for the glad pocket!

In case you're still wondering what this "glad pocket" is all about, let me share Psalm 105:1-2: "O give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name: make known his deeds among the people. Sing unto him, sing psalms unto him: talk ye of all his wondrous works!" Last year was full of challenges for our family--and I'm sure our family wasn't the only one struggling along. Personally, I often found myself overcome with negativity and thanklessness.

When Christmas time rolled around this year, there just didn't seem to be a whole lot to share with the people I loved--not in the traditional shopping sense. And that's when the Lord gave me the idea for the glad pocket. Wade and I sat down with the kids and started cutting, pasting, and stapling; and before long, we had a small army of glad pockets ready to share with family and friends. My glad pocket is right here. It's not exactly pinned to the refrigerator, but it will have to do!

So Happy New Year all, and here's hoping you have a glass half-full (and suitcase mostly empty) kind of year!

Top ten glads for January 2nd.
1) Safe trip home from Virginia with a slew of happy Christmas memories
2) My son seeing the golden arches and announcing suddenly, "Momma! The air smells like chocolate milk!"
3) Waking up in my own bed
4) Being in Sunday services for the first time in almost three weeks because of sick kids and snow storms
5) Coming home to a clean house
6) Wonderful furry doggy hugs from my puppy who missed me while I was gone
7) Seeing my daughter sit and primp at the pink and purple vanity that she got for Christmas
8)Listening to my son sing "I sing the Mighty powers of God!!!"
9)Lettuce
10) A whole new year full of opportunities to learn about and glorify my God.

What in your pocket?

No comments:

Post a Comment